onsdag 20 maj 2009

Music - The thing that keeps me alive

Music is a great part of my life, I doubt it that I would survive without it. I cannot remember any period of my life when I have not sung in a choir, I compose some music myself and of course I would not go anywhere without my tuning fork! So what is it that has given me this great interest in music and singing?

First of all, I believe that my family has been a great source of inspiration. My mother and my grandmother have always been singing in a choir. When I was a kid, I sang in a children’s choir and when I grew older, I started to sing in the same choir as my mother and my grandmother. Of course I was the youngest member of the choir. I was only sixteen, and the other members were at least thirty-five and above. My grandmother was seventy-five by then. But the difference in age did not matter, since the music kept us all together. I also have an uncle who is a conductor, and I have always looked up to him. He has inspired me to write my own music, for example by giving me blank music sheets as a Christmas gift.

Secondly, I believe that musicians all over the world have been inspiring me. In fact, I think that every child is inspired by musicians. Almost every child wants to be a pop star in a period of life. The difference between me and other children of my generation, though, is that I never liked Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys or Aqua. I listened to folk music and Björn Afzelius. Of course I listened to other musicians as well; the important thing was that they had to have written the songs by themselves. And if they had not, their songs had to tell me something, instead of being mass produced, commercial songs that did not mean anything. I wanted to know that the singer actually meant what he or she was singing. I still want them to.

To sum up; my family has probably been playing the greatest part when it comes to inspire me to keep on singing. Thanks to them I always have the music at hand. If it had not been for my mother and my grandmother, I doubt it that I would have started singing in a choir. However, known artists have inspired me as well as anyone and I have them to thank for a lot.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Dear Maria,

    Thank you for an enjoyable read about the importance of music in your life! It makes me want to take up singing again.

    Your text is well structured and you include all the necessary parts. You might want to think about formulating the topic in a way that makes it more general – remember what we said about “I like apple pie”! Otherwise the text is fine and it includes the obligatory question for a causal analysis as well as topic sentences for the paragraphs in the body of the text. You also make good use of transitional devices.

    As to language, you have a comma splice in “Music is a great part of my life, I doubt it that I would survive without it.”. A solution would be to use a semi-colon instead. Another case is “I cannot remember any period of my life when I have not sung in a choir, I compose some music myself and of course I would not go anywhere without my tuning fork!” where, rather than using a comma, you should have started a new sentence. Use the ing-form after prepositions, as in “when it comes to inspire me” where you should have “when it comes to inspiring me”. Think about whether to use the definite article or not. In “I always have the music at hand” you refer to music in the generic sense and shouldn’t have a definite article. Rather than “have written the songs by themselves” say ”have written the songs themselves”.

    Good luck for the exam!
    Best,
    Marika

    SvaraRadera
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog! I actually laughed when I saw your choice of topic because I had chosen the same one, my love for music!

    You write very well and you write with passion and that is what I think is the most important thing. You can really tell that you do love music and singing by reading your blog.

    I can not give you any word of advice because I could not find anything that was wrong. So, if you do it like this on the exam I think the result will be excellent!

    Eva Alod

    SvaraRadera